2015

Virginia Woolf Exhibit Version 2.0

During Fall 2015, I took Dr. John Walsh’s course on Digital Libraries. For the final project, we were to create our own small digital library prototype of any documents with which we wished to work. After working with the Virginia Woolf letters during Manuscripts, I decided to create my digital library prototype with the same documents. This website features digitally encoded examples of my curated collection. I am going to greatly miss the Lilly Library and its treasures when I leave Bloomington.

 

Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences Internship

At this internship with the Academy’s Science and Technology Council, I completed a digital archiving project for 17 terabytes of experimental film material. I was surrounded by experts, phenomenally helpful people, and a mutual love for everything motion pictures. Check out the blog I kept during my time in Los Angeles!

 

Virginia Woolf Exhibit Version 1.0

For the Manuscripts course at IU, we could choose any collection from which to create a physical exhibit. I chose to create an exhibit about Virginia Woolf from three manuscript collections held at the Lilly Library: MacCarthy, English Literature, and Kennedy. Check out the bare-bones, digital representation of my exhibit here.

 

Indiana University Digital Library Program Internship

This blog serves as a journal for my spring 2015 internship with the Indiana University Digital Library Program. My first task is to learn XSLT and XQuery basics. Once accomplished, I will transform the Board of Trustees and Bloomington Faculty Council Minutes collections from TEI P4 to the updated TEI P5 standard utilizing these tools.

 

2014

A Topic Modeling Case Study: Poetry in The Star of the North, 1860-1866

This project looks at the text of poetry printed in a specific newspaper. I used latent Dirichlet Allocation (LDA, otherwise “topic modeling”) to compare the poetic and non-poetic text. I critically considered current methodological approaches to LDA, the use and quality of OCR from historic newspapers, and my own awareness as a researcher. This is an ongoing project, which will continue evolving throughout my masters study. Many thanks to Dr. Elizabeth Lorang and Dr. Matthew Jockers, my fearless co-advisors!

Aida: Image Analysis for Archival Discovery

A cross-disciplinary digital humanities project based at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln. Dr. Lorang and I presented our paper on this work, Detection of Poetic Content in Historic Newspapers Through Image Analysis, at the 2014 Digital Humanities Conference in Lausanne, Switzerland.

Authorship Attribution of Willa Cather

This project originated in Dr. Matthew Jockers’ fall 2103 Microanalysis course at UNL. Ashanka Kumari, Courtney Lawton, Carmen McCue, Joseba Moreno, and I created an algorithm using the R programming language to challenge and confirm authorship of several journalism articles purportedly written by Willa Cather. Ashanka Kumari and I presented the poster on this work, Detecting Linguistic Signal in Cather’s Early Journalism: Polishing the Bibliography, at the 2014 Digital Humanities Conference in Lausanne, Switzerland.

2013

Digital Edition: Book of Aphorisms

My first foray into Digital Humanities was a digital edition created for Dr. Amanda Gailey’s Digital Archives and Editions course at UNL. Austin Wehrwein, Nicole Greenwalt, Meghan Johns, and I created the digital edition of a bound manuscript held in Special Collections at UNL’s Love Library. The manuscript contains over 2,000 aphorisms which we transcribed, encoded, and digitally published, attempting to stay true to the structure of the physical manuscript.